Sunday, February 5, 2012

Blogspiration and Project List

It's been a few weeks since I've posted. I'm trying to finish some projects so that I can write about them but it is taking me a bit longer than anticipated.

Our house needs no major work but it isn't really in my nature to stick with the status quo too long. I've planned minor facelifts for all the rooms in the house. No real design pojects, just decoration. Some rooms, like our bedroom, need more help than others.

When we moved in the house was painted completely white. It was airy and clean but it didn't take long for unwashable fingerprints to start showing up on the walls. I've re-painted almost all the rooms, keeping colours light and neutral and trying to preserve the light feeling that white walls bring. Sometimes it feels a little too neutral, though, and so most of my plans involve refreshing our spaces through textiles and accessories.

Right now I'm working on the nursery. It is an oddly shaped space that I decorated before we knew that we were having a baby girl. Once she arrived the room felt cold and so I decide to try to warm it up by changing the curtains, pillows, etc., adding new art, and moving some pieces around.

After the nursery is done I'm going to turn our attention where it is needed the most - our bedroom. It is cold (literally) and colourless. New headboard, rug, curtains and art will be in order.

Next on the list will be our bathroom, which needs nothing, but I have been dreaming of a navy or black bathroom forever and have decided I'm finally going to do it.

Then I'm going to tackle a few small projects in our living room, dining room and kitchen. It will be a busy few months so stay tuned for the results!

In the meantime here are a few of my favourite Canadian bloggers. These women are just like me - people who have a "day job" and are also interested in design and renovation. I like to read their blogs because their projects and ideas are really accessible. Most of the time their taste is similar to mine and they offer great inspiration while keeping the budget in check. I prefer Canadian blogs because it means if I see something I like, it is usually locally available to me.

I also love this blog written by a man who lives in a little apartment in New York with his partner. His taste is a little spare but his posts are hilarious. Unfortunately he doesn't update it too often but it is worth checking in regularly just in case. I am obsessed with the doors he painted black in this post and if we still lived on Lucknow St. in a house with that kind of architectural detail I would definitely have painted all of our doors black. I think you need very light walls, brassy-ish hardware, and nice warm wood floors to pull this off:



So that's it for now! I'll post the nursery results in the next couple of weeks. Until then I'd love to hear about any great design blogs that you might be reading.

No comments: